Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Sweet and Sour Pork Patties


So, for Christmas my dear hubby got me a cookbook from Sandra Lee, the Food Network's resident lush! There are some good recipes in there, but I had yet to actually try any of them.

When I saw that ground pork was on sale this week, I thought I would give this recipe a whirl. As I am trying to eat healthier, I altered the recipe slightly. The original recipe calls for regular fat-content ground pork that you are supposed to cook in 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil. I instead went with the extra lean pork and eliminated the oil. Both changes seemed to work well, though I really have nothing to compare it to.

Enjoy!

ps... Have I mentioned that I HATE the word 'patties'? I don't know why, but it grates on my nerves. So, maybe I should rename this Sweet and Sour Pork Burgers or something...


Sweet and Sour Pork Patties

1 1/4 lb extra lean ground pork (97% fat free)
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp Asian Five-Spice Seasoning
1 tsp crushed or minced garlic (I used the kind that comes in a little jar)
2 - 8 oz. cans of unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
6 oz. of bell pepper strips (I used the frozen ones from Trader Joe's)
9 oz. Sweet and Sour Sauce

In a large bowl, combine ground pork, soy sauce, Asian seasoning and garlic. Wet hands to prevent sticking: form pork mixture into sixteen 2-inch patties.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook for 3 minutes per side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate; set aside.

Add drained pineapple chunks and pepper strips to skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until peppers are just tender. Add sweet and sour sauce; bring to a boil.

Return patties to skillet, turning to coat with sauce. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve hot over rice.

Makes 4 servings (6 WW points per serving)

*Adapted from Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade 20 Minute Meals, page 92*

No comments: