Sunday, April 15, 2007

In Memory of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. 1922-2007

A few days ago this world lost a great author, satirist, humorist and humanist. Kurt Vonnegut always made me think and laugh -- a good combination in my mind. I won't write much here, as I know I could never do him justice. So, with that, I am copying the words from Jon Stewart's Daily Show tribute, because I couldn't say it any better:

"But more importantly those of you who are out in the world may have noticed it feels a little grayer today and let's say a little less interesting -- Because last night the world got less interesting. "

With a tear in my eye -- So it goes, Mr. Vonnegut, So it goes... RIP


One of my favorite Vonnegut quotes:

"And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."

~Kurt Vonnegut in "I Love you Madame Librarian" http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/903/












No comments: